How to: create an Instagram Guide
Instagram ‘Guides’ are a relatively new (and very under utilised) feature. Instagram describes them as “a way to more easily discover recommendations, tips and other content” on Instagram.
Essentially, Guides offer you a simple way to create evergreen content by grouping your own Instagram content into one easy-to-find location – kind of like Highlights, but better. It means your audience can quickly find relevant posts, rather than having to scroll through your feed. You can also bring in content from other accounts, which allows you to reach a wider audience. You can also share Guides externally, which means you can repurpose the content for your website, newsletters, your stories or other social media accounts, etc.
So, how do you do it?
To create your first Guide, log into your business instagram account, tap the + icon on the top-right of your profile page and select “Guide.”
Then, choose from 3 different Guide formats:
- Posts: Recommend posts you created or saved – this is the best one for creating evergreen content using posts you have created. This is what we use most.
- Places: Recommend places in your city and beyond – this is great for sharing local tips, for example great local cafes, restaurants etc.
- Products: Recommend your favourite products – this is where you add products from Instagram Shop. They don’t have to be your products, so great for creating a Mothers Day shopping guide etc.
Next, select the Posts, Places or Products relevant to your guide. You can add as many as you like (and you can add more later when you create additional content).
Then, add the Guide Title & description to explain what your Guide is about. Then, add a Title & description for each post. And once done, click ‘Save’ (you can also save as a draft).
And finally, share it to:
- your Stories: click the aeroplane icon in the top right corner
- generate a link to add it to your newsletter or website: click the 3 dots in the top right corner and select ‘copy link’
- send in a message, email, whatsapp or share to Facebook, LinkedIn or Pinterest: click the 3 dots in the top right corner and select ‘share to’